Thar she blows

November 20th, 2013 | Posted in: Field Trips, Images, Video

Let me just say that I do not advise putting your head into a spouting gloup.

Gloup is a Scottish word for a blowhole, I like it better than plain blowhole but I think there might be better words for the same thing. In Ireland they are called puffer-holes apparently, which is OK, but take it from me that thing is not puffing. They are sometimes called sea-jets which captures the force but is still a bit to prosaic for me. Gloup has more onomatopoeic poetry but I think it works better with the swirling, gurgling kind of blowhole than with the spouting, spraying kind.

This one is near Chapel Porth on the North Cornish coast.